Tuesday 10 April 2007

Pro Crastination

I am pro crastination. I am procrastinating.

I am trying to write an evidence statement for the Independent Public Inquiry into Contaminated Blood and Blood Products. To be precise this is my challenge:

"please in the space below outline in approximately 700 words your experience and knowledge in connection with Contaminated Blood and Blood Products.

It would be very helpful to the Inquiry if you would describe as best as possible the following:- When and under what circumstances were you first advised that you or a family member were suffering from Hepatitis C and or HIV or vCJD? Also how have these illnesses affected you and or your family?"

700 words.

I am still finding it hard to believe that an inquiry has been launched at all. I'm struggling to accept that it will be independent and that it will get to the root of why and how the NHS supplied contaminated blood products to those of us who relied on it to merely stay alive. I am uncertain what exactly the inquiry will achieve and am unsure what I'd like it to achieve.

It cannot save any lives. It cannot bring back those who have died. It will not alleviate the pain felt by those who have lost friends and relatives to these viruses. It will not prevent people becoming ill or provide any cures for those still battling on.

However, I will do a statement and I am pleased that Lord Alf Morris has managed to get an inquiry, towards which he has been working for years on behalf of those with bleeding disorders. I've met him, he's a good man. If the only thing to come out of it is some recognition of what people went through and are still going through then I think it is worthwhile.

I have found many reasons not to start writing my statement yet. I've been in London watching Spamalot. I've been entertaining my mum and dad (who have both written their statements already). I've been spending time with friends in their gardens and mine. I've been enjoying myself and feeling better than I have in a while. I need to think about the bad stuff - to re-live the diagnosis of HCV and the treatment. I need to remember how it felt then and how I am still finding my life is being determined by my health - the way it has been since I found out about the HCV. I need to face the fact that every time I inject there might be more viruses out there that I might be putting into my vein - or maybe they're already there? It's unlikely I know, but is it impossible?

700 words.

When I have stopped procrastinating and have written my statement I'll maybe post it on here as well as on the inquiry website. (http://www.archercbbp.com/index.php if you want to see more)

I was going to do a post on what a fantastic weekend I had and how exhausted I am now, and then I realised what I was avoiding. I'm still avoiding. Think I'll blog my lovely weekend next ...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh. My. God. I have just read all your entries in a oner. I had listened to you and tried to understand what life might be like for you but really, really, never appreciated how grindingly constant it is for you - right down to the very basics of what us girls take completely for granted. Guess part of it is cos you're such a cheery soul, or rather, you put on a fab public face. Am hoping, so much, that what you are currently going through works for you, and for Ade, on so many different levels. It's a bleedin' miracle, pardon the pun, that you manage to get out of bed at all chickie - think I would be under the duvet indefinately. You are an inspiration and we are all cheerin for you. xxx

Ros said...

Thanks honey.

All I can say is I wouldn't be who I am without such wonderful friends, you included my dear. I'll miss you when you're in KL.

Thanks for the good wishes and for reading my ramblings...!