Friday 13 July 2007

Who am I again?

Actually, it's not who am I?
Or where do I come from?
Or even - is there anyone out there?

It's more a case of mild curiosity and the Manx cat.

As an adopted person I have never felt any undeniable desires to trace my birth family. I was adopted at about 3 months old and have always felt totally happy and a part of that the family I grew up with. Mum and Dad told me from the very beginning of my memories that I was adopted and I never felt like I didn't know who I was. They made me a scrapbook to explain where I came from - how I'd flown over from the Isle of Man and how they'd come and picked me up from a children's home in Frodsham.


My brother who was also adopted had a different background and birth family to mine. He was adopted at the age of three and so had a history prior to coming to live with us. He never seemed as comfortable or settled in our extended family. He had been taken in and then rejected a number of times before coming to be with us and I believe that affected his ability to trust those who were supposed to care for him. I think he felt like he was obviously different and found it hard to accept this new family at face value. He looked into his background as a teenager and traced his birth family over time, becoming close to them and developing relationships - these weren't always easy but helped him understand himself I think. This in turn has perhaps led to an acceptance and appreciation of the parents and family that brought him up?

My lack of desire to find out about my birth family was purely a sign of my sense of belonging to my new family life and a happy childhood. We had a fair few problems to handle but I felt that I had a strong and loving family, dedicated to each other and of which I was very much a part.

When I hit 21 I remember thinking maybe now would be a good time to look into my past, where I came from. It was a milestone. I was in my final year at university and had plenty of family and friends to support my quest for information. However something stopped me moving from thought into action. That, thinking back, was Hepatitis C. I had found out in 1991 at the age of 17 that I had the virus and whilst it had not affected me at all and life was continuing as if I'd never heard of the virus, I felt like I couldn't look up my birth family and say:

"Hello, it's me, your long lost daughter - and by the way, not only have I got a severe bleeding disorder but I've also got hepatitis C - now you gonna make me a cup of tea or what . . ."

This was enough to put me off the idea and to get on with life and what that threw at me. Again there were no feelings of dissatisfaction or of incompleteness, I suppose I had other things on my mind.

This year I have again been having health problems, both bleeding and chronic fatigue. I have had more time off, which has given me time to think about my future and surprisingly this had led to me thinking about my past.

I've realised the longer I leave finding out about my birth parents, the lower the chances of finding them - who knows what's happened to them, where their lives have taken them over the years. It's not as simple as looking them up on the internet and getting an address and bobbing on round. Or is it?

I've acknowledged that I am curious about them. Purely in terms of - will there be any family resemblances? My adoptive family share many features and personality traits which link them together - I do miss that, is there someone out there with my nose? My dodgy sense of humour? Or in fact if I did find anyone would my upbringing have influenced my life so very much that we actually had very little in common - except for perhaps the nose?

The point is I don't know. And I'm coming to the realisation that I can actually find out if I put my mind to it. And it might take months, it might take years, but at least then the pieces will all have been fitted together - even if there are some missing and maybe I never want to do the jigsaw again.

8 comments:

Jason Paul Tolmie said...

Cooooooot!!! Look at those little turn-ups! Or should I say massive turn-ups;)

Speaking of turn-ups...your mild curiosity may very well turn up a long lost millionaire or famous actor or chip shop owner;) It will be interesting to see another Ros nose out there someday and that sense of humour of yours...well, I can't see too many people having the same wonderful & ever so refreshing sense of humour as you. That is something that makes you you. But if there is another nose just like yours or similarly a dodgy sense of humour?...I'd Love to meet them:)

Jaexx

Not Blank said...

Go for it, if this is what you want. I have one friend who gave a daughter up for adoption because she was only 16 when she gave birth. 30 years later, the daughter came looking for her - as it turns out, they only lived 50 miles apart, but hundreds of miles from where the girl was born and adopted. My friend was able to attend her daughter's wedding, and is now a grandmother. By the way, my friend never was able to have another child. Good luck, keep us posted on your search, if you decide to do it.
uc/aka MYS

Anonymous said...

Wow - funny things family. Feels like you could live without them sometimes, but it always seems to turn out that you can't - in one shape or form or another. Am sure your parents (current) will be very supportive - they are lovely folk (love the piccy!)
Kind of know what you mean about family line and all that. Keep wondering about my mum and me although at least I have some pics. If I can help with anything - let me know. Research takes ages and I have a bit of time on me hands too. Cx

Ros said...

Thanks for the support Jae, MYS and Caz.

It's good to hear that it worked out really well for your friend uc. And so bizarre that they were living 50 miles apart - what are the chances of that! I'm hoping that my search will have a happy ending, although I am trying to prepare myself for the worst possible outcome just in case. If I am a descendent of a chip shop owner it would explain a few things!

Caz you are kind to offer to help - I may well take you up on it my dear.

x

Kitty said...

You know, having known you for so long, this is the one thing I never thought you'd do. How things change hey?! Still, I wish you all the best with this quest and hope the results are positive at the very least.

Anonymous said...

Well, I don't think we ever actually had this conversation properly. As you know I'm adopted too(as a 10 day old baby). Age 18 I knew I wanted to know more about my roots, my family. Dear god weren't there enough frequent reminders 'which side of the family does von Willebrands come from dear?'. *shrug* 'I dunno, I'm adopted'. I'm sure you had this too! (I now happily say 'both', but there weren't *types* in the olden days ;) ).

Age 18 and a few weeks, I wrote to the Registrar of births and deaths in Scarborough. I thought I'd start young as all the adoption agencies had prepared me that it can take years. A wee srawl: "I don't know where to start but I know I was born in Scarborough, my birth day is 26/10/71. Silence, 3 weeks of deafening silence (no internet for me to look up 'steps to stalk adopted family by' etc. 3 weeks later a much anticipated scarbough post office stamped envelope arrives, with compliment slip saying; 'There's someone that's been waiting to hear from you for a very long time Tel 01blah de blah de blah(well obviously not blah de blah de blah cos that would have been well weird, but in fact her number. No name/address erm anything re-assuring). So I got my boyfriend to ring her and get her address and I wrote/we wrote for a few months. there began my tumultoous affair with my birth family. It's not been easy. But I wouldn't have not done it. And I do have a relationship with 2 of my half-brothers to date.

There's only 68 miles between me, my birth mother and a half-brother, it since turns out I have an aunty 4 miles up the road.

I also have to say you are alot more stable than me, emotionally speaking and have a good 'sense of self' and seemingly a good relationship with your adoptive family. I'm sorry if I've made assumptions here but I've just been reading between the lines.

Helen x
bleeding@ntlworld.com

Your first step on the road is to write to the Registrar of where you are from, by that I mean born: http://www.gov.im/registries/general/civilregistry/contacts.gov?dept=

and ask for your original birth certificate - long-form, that will have on it the name your birth mum may have given you to register the birth and her name and maybe the putative fathers name(though infrequently that happen with adoption so only expect a birth mothers name at this stage)

Ros said...

Hey Helen

We never did talk about this you're right - altho I've been meaning to ask you all about it for ages.

There is more to my little tracing story that I've not yet blogged about but will do soon. Suffice to say I have more info now than I did earlier this year. But no 'There's someone that's been waiting to hear from you for a very long time Tel 01blah de blah de blah' as yet! :)

I'll be interested to hear more about your experiences me dear.

x

'A friend who bleeds is better' said...

(ps this turns into a frigging essay!)

IT'S ALL IN THE BLOOD!

Okies; maybe your next steps are to register on the Norcap Contact Register. http://www.norcap.org.uk/register.asp

Don't lose hope about there not being an easy comp slip with phone number attached, most birth mums are surrounded by complicite secrecy/shame at their past. Mother and baby homes, social stigmatisation/ no support for single mothers blah blah blah, it was a very diff world in the early 70's.

My birth mum is a vegetarian(I was when I met her) and she follows a religious cult lol are you sure you wanna hear more about my tales?!! What was strangest was when I met her she had a shop full of hundreds of bottles of aromatherapy oils with my hand-writing on the labels. She's been buying oils off me since my 18th bday, she came in the shop where I worked in Leeds on my 18th birthday to put the order in, cos it was my birthday I'd had the day off! I'd looked at the proprietor and saw the name pauline when I made up orders and remembered that was the name of my birth mum from scarborough, but no-one really believes in synchronicity, er do they?! So er a couple of yrs pass and my birth mum told me who my birth father was and I knew he was still in Scarborough(she kept bumping into him in Tescos) so I went about trying to find him.(she wouldnt help cos she hated him-which was fair enough). Checked electoral register at scarborough, and he wasn't listed. Hmm. Put an advert in the scarborough newspaper, he never responded(though he did see it!). Therein lies another tale-In short he abandoned his German wife and 2 sons in 1967. His own family never heard from him again after 1967. The German and UK authorities had him listed as a missing person.I think he thought I was them, he had too much shame to let him see them again. It was less complicated with me. Anyway time transpires and I get told like every other bleeder that I've contracted Hep C... some time passes and I get upper right quadrant pain, go to Drs, it might be Hep C-ah. Do I want a biopsy which could leave me bleeding to death? Er... no. So I contact the British Liver Trust(this was 91) and they put me in touch with the Yorkshire Hep C Group-there were only 3 of us, a woman in N Yorks, a man in Scarborough and me. Got chatting with Scarborough man, mention I was born there and that I've been trying to trace my birth father, to no avail. I mentioned b-father name and this chap says - "oh, I could take you to his door". And did. Synchronicity strikes again. (the good news was that after the pain-which retrospectively was prolly early gallbladder probs, I cleared Hep C spontaneously).

I have contact with my half bro Solomon (we are quite close), age 27 in Scarborough (all these are birth fathers side), Thomas, age 40 and his family in Munster, half-bro Mark er 45, Cologne. Thomas has frequent nosebleeds but that seems to be the only half-sib with vW. They'll only have one faulty gene so be a type 1. I have a cousin in Northampton who had an awful time with periods and tooth extraction so is probably a type 1(she had a hysterectomy after she had her son).

My birth mum Pauline always sends me a birthday pressie and an xmas card. But I get very annoyed with her over allsorts really, so it's best we minimise contact.(She's quite judgemental and to be fair I think that's a parental right you give up when you give a baby away). Though I think it's fair to say i still do have some abandonment issues so it probably 'feels' much worse than it actually is. I'm just over-sensitive. Ever since I found my birth father Leonard and bro Sol (at age 22)my half-sis (birth mothers side) and her family, her husband, my niece and nephew cut contact with me.

Plus I had to keep it a secret from my parents(adopted) that I was searching cos they had told me plentifully in advance they'd be heartbroken if I did. They are ok now cos my relationship primarily is with my half-siblings, which they are not threatened by.(They didnt have any other kids so I've no real siblings)

Oh thats another thing, I refer to the 'natural parents' as 'birth family'. My 'real parents/family' are my adopted family. The people I was with since I was 10 days old.

So boo to me for not being asking to be born to ppl who didnt want me and dare to find said ppl!

It's galling (still, and only just with a gallbladder) that the adopted person often gets the hardest deal in the adoption triangle. I was trying to please everyone, and failed on all accounts -(Well apart from me and my inquisitive/downright nosey nature! I just always knew I'd search as soon as I could). Overall half-siblings have been the least judgemental.

My birth-father was very accepting of me and welcoming and not too demanding. Sadly he died in 99, but at least I'd met him 7 times by then. And at his funeral met my two German half-bros and their mum.I also met Sol's mum(he'd got around abit my b-father!) she was MAD and tried to start a fight at the crematorium!!! She's now serving 22 yrs for murder(she shot someone).http://www.guardian.co.uk/crime/article/0,2763,1309758,00.html

That was the other slightly odd thing, many of the adoptions in the olden days(well 1971) were still from young women but both my birth-parents were 32/33 when I was born.

So, er yes, it's a mixed bag,can be mundance, can be colourful, be prepared to keep your boundaries. I worked with a lot of adult adoptees when I ran the adult adoptees support group at After Adoption Yorkshire, alot had nice tales, many of the older ones had nothing left to find other than descendants, mostly all were accepting and welcomed them to the family. Some adoptees just want a photo and some info and that sates their appetite for all things adoption. Decide what *you* want and go for it.

ps both my parents were asymptomatic von Willebrands