Thursday 6 September 2007

Full Moon


Description of Mooncup Activities written at time of use - 14 August 2007

1.00pm
Insertion

2.30pm
Towel totally saturated.
Mooncup removed with a little difficulty.
Suction was fine so no leakage due to inaccurate insertion.
Cup totally full up.
Sloppy clots in cup and falling out after removal.
Very messy.
Shook out into toilet bowl.
Flung into sink.
Blood on carpet.
Must wipe with loo roll first next time.
Washed and reinserted.
30ml collected - many more ml in towel and flooding out

3.15pm
Cup full.
Clotty.
Messy.
Shook out cup in loo.
Washed in sink and reinserted.
30ml collected - many more ml in towel and flooding out

5.00pm
Cup full.
Sloppy clots.
Very messy.
Cannot remove without getting hand covered in blood.
Much less hygenic than tampon removal.
Difficult to clean the cup with toilet tissue without getting blood everywhere.
Removal is accompanied by squelching noises as suction is released.
Can't imagine that in a public loo.
Washed in sink and reinserted.
30ml collected - many more ml in towel and flooding out

6.30pm
Full.
Messy.
Tried to just use toilet tissue to clean - as if in public loo.
Not very good job.
30ml collected - many more ml in towel and flooding out

8.00pm
Half full.
Topped up with sloppy clots.
Mmm lovely.
Shook out cup in loo.
Washed in sink and reinserted.
15ml counted

9.30pm
Full.
Clotty.
Messy.
Noisy squelches.
Shook out cup in loo.
Washed in sink and reinserted.
Yuck.
30ml collected - many more ml in towel and flooding out
Definitely leaking and saturating towel quicker than when using giant tampons.

10.00pm
Full.
Clotty.
Messy.
Sticky fingers.
Shook out cup in loo.
Washed in sink and reinserted.
30ml collected - many more ml in towel and flooding out

11.00pm
Full.
Clotty.
Messy.
Sticky fingers.
Shook out cup in loo.
Washed in sink.
30ml collected - many more ml in towel and flooding out

GIVEN UP!!

Total collected over 10 hours = 225ml

Do you remember this quote from an earlier post:
"In order for a period to be considered heavy - according to the Mooncup website - one would be losing "80mls+ produced over the whole cycle"."

I've produced 225 mls in 10 hours - that's 1/36th of an average 15 day cycle for me, and that doesn't include the extra extreme loss into the towel and whilst on the loo, admittedly it was a heavy day but still....

Not hugely surprising perhaps, but from wanting to measure my blood loss, I now find it a daunting prospect - I'm not sure I want to know exactly how much beyond normal I am thanks very much.

I tried the Mooncup again a couple of days later. A day I thought was less heavy, more moderate blood loss. Same problem. Did not take many minutes to fill up. Then leaking sensation.

Forgot to mention - when the Mooncup is overflowing I am treated to sound effects. When I move I squelch. Now that's delightful.

X

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh well, nothing ventured, nothing gained. Well done for trying! I will keep up my use of this little contraption but can see how it's not at all helpful to you! I still highly recommend them to others who aren't bleeders - never pay for tampons etc again! Sorry Ros - I hope you get yours on the NHS...

Bx

Anonymous said...

This isn't working out very well, is it? And you have carpeting in your bathroom/loo? What's up with that - wouldn't tile or linoleum be more practical? I think maybe you should reconsider the tampons. If you buy some stock in a tampon manufacturing company, you'll earn dividends on every box you buy and you're not really losing as much money! ;}
MYS/uc - too lazy to choose an identity

'A friend who bleeds is better' said...

Jesus wept, that's a concurrently shocking and totally unsuprising loss Ros.The Moon tide cup measuring device is really hammering home what you are going thru.

x

'A friend who bleeds is better' said...

This is not good - we can estimate on bad days you are losing nearly half a litre of blood. There are only 5 litres in the body!

Not Blank said...

H is right - 250 ml in 10 hours, that would mean 500 in 24 hours, 2 pints in a quart, a liter is a little bigger than a quart. I thought there were only 8 or 9 pints of blood in a body, which would be less than 5 liters, whatever the math is - you're losing too much blood!!! I guess you can't take ibuprofen to slow the bleeding? That's what I advise all my peri-menopausal friends to take. I'm getting extremely worried about this.

Ros said...

Thanks for worrying bout me girlies but I am still here and not all dehydrated in a little wizened bloodless heap on the floor just yet!

I agree - it was a shock initially but I knew I wasn't losing a healthy amount. I didn't dare do the math meself. However, I have been taking a v good supplement called Spa Tone which is rich in iron - think that's what's kept me from being in hbc free fall before now.

Am now on 600mg of iron pills / day and hormone pills so bleeding becoming more controlled and strength hopefully going in an upward direction.

I know loo carpeting is insane but we're waiting til we can afford to re-do the bathroom then it'll be replaced with some super wipe cleanable flooring - in the mean time Vanish Mouse is an amazing product!

I would also recommend the Mooncup to a normal bleeder, I would be using it if I wasn't tidal flowing.