Friday 17 September 2010

HCV and Me - An Affair To Forget

You came into my life insidiously.
Like a demon you crawled under my skin,
through my veins and into the heart of me.

Unaware of the danger I plunged on,
not understanding what it was
I was introducing to myself.

You were there
from the very beginning,
intrinsically part of me.

But I knew nothing.
Ignorant of how you were taking over my body,
destroying my soul.

When, later on, I discovered you,
you blew me away.
Turned me upside down
dragged me inside out.
Possessing.
Obsessing.

Flung my life in an unexpected, unbalanced direction.
You exposed my dark and twisted self.
I was never to be the same.

I railed and fought to resist
the all encompassing nature 
of your poison.

Yet you clung to me,
weighing me down,
changing me,
infecting me,
draining me.

Now am I free of you?
Are you gone?
Have you left me, in peace?

Or still dangling,
turning like a body hanging from a tree,
waiting for the wind to pick me up
and play with me once again.

I hate you.
For the gifts you gave me.
The tumultuous emotional tornado,
the paralysing physical pain.

But you made me.
Who I am.
You are still hidden within.

There will always be a fragment of me
devoted to you.

No comments: